Good-Bye Ra! is a series of events marking the departure of Johannesburg artist and community organizer, Mphapho Rangoato Hlasane, better known as Ra. Ra is about to finish a semester at University of Michigan’s Center for Afro-American and African Studies [CAAS] as a Moody Fellow visiting scholar and the School of Art & Design as an artist in residence. Ra’s goals were to read for his MA studies in Fine Arts [Art & Social Change], have studio time to make a body of work for a show, engage with the Detroit community and introduce the FanPalProject, an inter-collective project linking Johannesburg, Detroit and other cities through zine making.
Ra and Nadia Abou-Karr conducted Phase 1 of a Zine project with Detroit high schoolers at the 555 Galleries/Studios in early October, where the learners made zines for their Johannesburg counterparts to begin a spatial and media literacy dialogue.
- Friday 12: 12-5pm – For Tshepo exhibition, with artist in gallery
- Friday 12: 8pm My Crew is Yo Crew Johannesburg hip hop scene Draft Documentary screening with discussion. My Crew is Yo Crew is a film in mid-production that looks at how what started as 2 man Sunday afternoon session grew into a 4 man collective and an affiliate to more than 10 Johannesburg hip-hop and activists collectives.
- 9pm Closing Party with Dj Sicari and Performances by Special Guests
Allied Media Conference media lab, 555 Galleries/Studios
4884 Grand River Ave
- Saturday 13 December 11am to 1pm Phase 2 of Johannesburg/Detroit zine exchange workshop with Nadia Abou-Karr and Detroit High school kids at the 555 Gallery
- 2-5pm Johannesburg/Detroit zine exchange workshop with artists/activists collectives at the 555 Gallery
see y’all at Elementz